Saturday, July 2, 2016

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

It's strawberry season! Yesterday morning I went strawberry picking with my family and went home with four ice cream pails of strawberries. I love fresh strawberries! So far I have made 10 half pint jars of strawberry jam and frozen several bags for future smoothies. I also discovered this recipe. I happened to have some frozen rhubarb in my freezer, so this seemed like a good way to use it up. I was right, its delicious! So easy to make and makes a great topping for ice cream, yogurt, waffles, etc. The options are endless. Enjoy!


2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
5 tsps cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup sliced rhubarb

Combine sugar, orange juice, cornstarch and vanilla extract in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add strawberries and rhubarb; reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender or manually mash if you don't have an immersion blender. I like to leave some fruit chunks, but you can blend to smooth if you wish. Enjoy warm or cold. Makes 2 large pasta sauce sized jars.


*Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/200454/strawberry-rhubarb-sauce/

No comments:

Post a Comment