Saturday, October 20, 2012

Roasted Tomato Soup

Now if I had been thinking, I'd have taken pictures of the actual roasting process. Unfortunately I did not . . .  I roasted them a couple days before actually making the soup. Sorry! : )


In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the roasted tomatoes, stock, 1 1/2 cups water, sugar and basil; bring to a boil.



Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Now you could let it cool for a few minutes and then blend in a blender or food processor, but I used my immersion blender and did it right in the pot. I'm all about less dishes. I have too many to wash as it is.



Heat soup through, if it cooled down any. Add any salt or pepper if needed.



Yum! Would be good topped with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese (but I didn't have any). Or add a little cream or milk and some crackers.

Here's the recipe for the soup, followed by the recipe for the roasted tomatoes:

40 roasted tomato halves
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp parmesan or asiago cheese (optional)

Roasted Tomatoes

4 lbs ripe plum tomatoes (about 20 whole)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp each salt & pepper

Trim stems off tomatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Arrange, cut side up on a large foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.

Stir together garlic, basil and oil; brush over tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in 400F oven for about an hour or until softened, shrivelled and edges begin to darken.

No comments:

Post a Comment